Education Through Music

By Evie Lavers - November 21, 2011

Two weeks ago I was introduced to the music of a political activist of English and Iraqi descent Lowkey by fellow class member Cortext. At first I didn't really think much of him but after listening to the lyrics in the 2011 release 'Terrorist' I was sold. Lowkey is an educator, his delivery has captured me and my thoughts. I have found myself exploring and researching topics which he mentions in his music whilst listening to it when I should be concentrating on completing assignments.




Late last night I had a pleasant conversation with a friend of mine, he relayed to me the situation that was happening in Egypt and expressed to me that he had serious concern for a good friend that was a journalist and who had been posting live on Twitter the situation in Tahrir. That was the beginning and the end of my study plan for the evening. I always had knowledge of our media being censored but after watching the broadcast from BBC compared to the live tweets, images and movies being uploaded on to Youtube the truth was obvious and so so heartbreaking of the events happening in Egypt.




With the the online delivery of the news in Egypt as it happened and the education through honest lyrics last night I felt part of a dysfunctional world but also felt relieved that there are artist such as Lowkey and Dead Prez that have the opportunity to share and create a awareness on an international level through there rhymes and do so. The point I am trying to make is that I feel there is the need for artist to deliver education through music and especially through hip-hop to ears that want to hear. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments